- 2+ years of engineering management
- 7+ years of web development experience
- Previously: front-end developer comfortable with back-end work
- Design major in college
- Experienced in cross-functional engineering leadership
- Operates at the intersection of the art of people leadership and the process of engineering management
- Focused on solving problems over simply addressing symptoms
- Continually experiments to improve team operations
- React, GraphQL, Jest, Cypress, Next.JS, NodeJS, CSS, Webpack, Docker, Travis, etc.
Web Engineering Manager
SquareFoot is a commercial real estate brokerage, focused on client acquisition via our web platform. I lead the team of 4 engineers resposible for the front-end of this platform, which is used for showing listings to potential clients, onboarding them into our sales flow, and then facilitating the broker/client search experience. It's a pre-rendered React application which connects to a GraphQL API. I work closely with the product manager, backend/infrastructure manager, head of engineering, marketing team, and the design team to deliver new features to the platform while reducing technical debt that accumulated as the platform was first being shaped.
Some significant accomplishments include:
- I led work on the quarterly key result of improving mobile Lighthouse scores for key SEO pages from in the 20's to 70's
- I proposed and drove a major upgrade on the web application's foundation and development workflow, which had core dependencies many years out of date (e.g. Node.js v6 when v13 was the most recent). From there, I championed migrating the main SEO pages to Next.JS, resulting in Lighthouse scores in the 90's, and improved rankings on Google Search.
- I spearheaded a successful transition of the team project management workflow. This was driven by a need for better asynchronous communications on a distributed team and to reduce time spent in planning meetings, while ensuring predictable project delivery.
I led a team of 6 web and devops engineers across North America and Germany, building projects to support Mozilla's mission of improving internet health. I worked closely with the design manager, product manager, and digital director to improve the Foundation's main site at foundation.mozilla.org. The design and engineering teams also functioned as a service organization internally. I partnered with the leaders of other teams to identify the best way for us to address their needs while pushing forward on our team's internal road map. This happened by asking not just "what are you trying to do?" but "what problem are you trying to solve?", a subtle but important distinction. I also worked with my team to identify workflow challenges, improve their skills, and foster best software development practices while keeping us moving forward. Finally, as both the engineering lead and most senior technical manager in the org, I ensured organizational technology decisions were made prudently with an eye on long term impact and cost.
Front End Developer
Front End Prototype Developer
Mozilla Donations platform
- Facilitate relationship with external contractors hired to rebuild our donations platform, which brings in millions of dollars per year.
- Act as lead internal decision-maker for technology and implementation related details.
- Leverage organizational and technological familiarity to ensure donor pipeline is optimized and collecting the right data to analyze for future improvement, while adhering to mission-driven privacy practices.
- Coordinate with CRM lead to ensure data flows as expected
Mozilla Foundation site
- Led a team of engineers to migrate foundation.mozilla.org from a partially static, partially CMS based site to one fully generated by a Wagtail instance
- Led team to significantly reduce challenges in reviewing/testing changes, improve deployment process, and modularize front-end
- Listened to the pulse of the organization to understand and direct feature development, meeting the needs of multiple stakeholders simultaneously
- Parlayed successful implementation into utilization of the platform for rapid build and deployment of mozillafestival.org
Ramapo College of New JerseyMahwah, NJ
- Communications Major with a concentration in Design and Interactive Media, summa cum laude, May 2010
- Minor in Computer Science