To lead an engaged, productive, communicative team that outputs high quality projects and works together to help one another improve their skills while building the future.
- 2+ years of engineering management
- 7+ years of industry experience
- Previously: front-end developer comfortable with back-end work
- Experienced in cross-functional engineering leadership
- Focused on solving problems over simply addressing symptoms
- Empathic communicator
- Comfortable playing many roles
- Continually experimenting to improve team process
- Design background
I lead a team of 6 web and devops engineers across North America and Germany. We build projects to support Mozilla's mission of improving internet health. For this, I work closely with the design manager, product manager, and digital director to improve the Foundation's main site at foundation.mozilla.org. The design and engineering teams also function as a service organization internally, helping address the digital needs of other teams within the organization. I partner with the leaders of those teams to identify the best way for us to address their needs while pushing forward on our team's internal road map. This happens by asking not just "what are you trying to do?" but "what problem are you trying to solve?", a subtle but important distinction. I also work with my team to identify workflow challenges, improve their skills, and foster best software development practices while keeping us moving forward. Finally, as both the ranking engineer and most senior technical manager, I ensure organizational technology decisions are made prudently with an eye on long term impact and cost.
Front End Developer
Upon joining the team, I started working on the existing Webmaker Android app, a web-based app in a native wrapper that existed to empower users to create content on the web, instead of just consuming it. I also helped to create a UI framework for use across our web properties, and built out/enhanced a number of other sites like science.mozilla.org, foundation.mozilla.org, and the initial back-end work for mozillapulse.org as I learned Django.
Front End Prototype Developer
- Develop prototypes for the customer web app based on static comps
- Experiment with new web technologies to implement within the application
- Coordinate with the development team in California so that our prototypes are useful to them during production
- Develop framework of various components to be integrated into a style guide for agencies and developers to reference.
- Collaborate with the iOS development and design teams to quickly integrate new technologies
- Play a strong role in the design process with guidance from art director
- Implement designs by others in code to a high level of detail
- Skin various internal and 3rd party web applications
- Write CSS with support back to IE7 and Firefox 3.6
Mozilla Donations platform
- Facilitate relationship with external contractors hired to rebuild our donations platform, which brings in millions of dollars per year.
- Act as lead internal decision-maker for technology and implementation related details.
- Leverage organizational and technological familiarity to ensure donor pipeline is optimized and collecting the right data to analyze for future improvement, while adhering to mission-driven privacy practices.
- Coordinate with CRM lead to ensure data flows as expected
Mozilla Foundation site
- Led a team of engineers to migrate foundation.mozilla.org from a partially static, partially CMS based site to one fully generated by a Wagtail instance
- Led team to significantly reduce challenges in reviewing/testing changes, improve deployment process, and modularize front-end
- Listened to the pulse of the organization to understand and direct feature development, meeting the needs of multiple stakeholders simultaneously
- Parlay successful implementation into utilization of the platform for rapid build and deployment of mozillafestival.org
E*Trade Portfolios Prototype
- Leveraged MongoDB, Express, NodeJS, and AngularJS to build a highly functional prototype for the new heart of the E*TRADE web platform
- Worked in conjunction with teammate building trade ticket to create fully functional experience for user testing
- Used Express and Node to design and RESTful API that could be utilized by AngularJS client side framework
- Construct back end that integrates data from MongoDB and E*TRADE APIs to generate API responses
Weill Cornell Medical College - Desktop Support Tech
Apple Retail - Specialist, Visual Merchandiser, Creative
Ramapo College of New JerseyMahwah, NJ
- Communications Major with a concentration in Design and Interactive Media, summa cum laude, May 2010
- Minor in Computer Science
Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering TechnologyEdison, NJ
- 4 years of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Graduated Salutatorian